Espoo, Finland 19 March 2018 -- Valmet has successfully delivered and started up a rebuild of Alas Doradas' PM4 tissue machine, close to San Salvador, El Salvador. The rebuild delivered top results right from the start. Targets were reached and surpassed already in the first week after the startup which was on January 23, 2018.
The main target of the project was to increase the production capacity and save energy. Now, with all facts on hand, the joint efforts to reach top results have really been fulfilled.
"We are very satisfied with the results of the rebuild project. The combination of Advantage ViscoNip and ReDry have exceeded our highest expectations. The results show capacity increase by 20% and drying energy savings of 20-25%," says Carlos Jerez, Engineering Director at Alas Doradas. "In addition, we have also seen significant quality improvements with bulk increase," Carlos continues.
The key to success comes from the synergy effect gained when combining two of Valmet's foremost innovations. In this case, the energy saving Advantage ViscoNip press, which has a unique ability to adapt to the Yankee dryer shell, is boosted by the Advantage ReDry web heater. The Advantage ReDry further enhances dryness by utilizing exhaust air and humidity from the hood, to heat the web and thereby increase post pressure consistency.
"We are proud that Alas Doradas has selected our well proven Advantage technologies which have been truly spot-on for this upgrade," says Kent Nika and Sergio Vargas, Sales managers at Valmet.
"We are also honored to have been given the confidence to provide guidance and support throughout this important expansion and performance improvement that Alas Doradas is going through."
Close cooperation and mutual responsiveness have also been factors in the success of the project.
"The cooperation between Valmet's and Alas Doradas' teams has been very successful," says Valmet's project manager Pyry Hämäläinen. "Our confidence in one another, which was strong to begin with, has been reinforced on this joint quest to move from good to great. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of a long-term partnership."
Technical information about the delivery
Valmet's delivery for the machine rebuild includes a replacement of the current suction press roll with an Advantage ViscoNip press and Advantage ReDry web heater for increased production capacity and decreased energy consumption. The rebuild also includes mist removal system, supervision, training, start-up and commissioning. It also features integration of the new equipment with the current automation systems.
Information about the customer Alas Doradas
Alas Doradas is one of three main tissue paper manufacturers in Central America. Alas Doradas is renowned for its "green practices", using 100% recycled paper as raw material. The company operates in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama, generating more than 38,000 tons of paper products annually, the main ones being toilet paper, paper towels and napkins.
Valmet is the leading global developer and supplier of process technologies, automation and services for the pulp, paper and energy industries. We aim to become the global champion in serving our customers.
Valmet's strong technology offering includes pulp mills, tissue, board and paper production lines, as well as power plants for bioenergy production. Our advanced services and automation solutions improve the reliability and performance of our customers' processes and enhance the effective utilization of raw materials and energy.
Valmet's net sales in 2017 were approximately EUR 3.2 billion. Our more than 12,000 professionals around the world work close to our customers and are committed to moving our customers' performance forward - every day. Valmet's head office is in Espoo, Finland and its shares are listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki.
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412. A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Working as a Consultant? Looking for some additional challenges with a flexible scheduling? Have a background in Consistency Control? This may be just the opportunity you are looking for: A large multi-national automation company seeks an expert in paper mill consistency technology. This individual will facilitate application support and start-ups in the paper mill environment. In addition, the ability to provide troubleshooting and technical advice and support is strongly desired. The individual should have an understanding of rotary, blade, microwave and optical consistency and the application of these devices in the paper mill. The company sells and maintains a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors. These products are marketed in the US through a rep. network. Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is also desirable. Individual must be willing to travel to paper production facilities across the US. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.